Getting Help & Living with NEAD

If you have not yet had a diagnosis of non-epileptic attack disorder, but feel you may have non-epileptic attacks you should speak to your doctor to request further investigation. If you have a diagnosis, the information on this site can help you to understand and find ways to manage the symptoms that you may be experiencing.

Getting a diagnosis

If you do not have a diagnosis of non-epileptic attack disorder and are concerned that you or your child may have non-epileptic attacks you should discuss this with your GP, paediatrician or neurologist and request further assessment. Assessment involves understanding the symptoms that are experienced by a medical professional and using assessment methods to establish if the symptoms are non-epileptic. Please do not attempt to diagnose yourself or others as the diagnosis of non-epileptic attack disorder can be difficult and depends on having experience and knowledge of different neurological problems. However, having a diagnosis can help to understand why you have the symptoms and identify ways to get the appropriate help.

Who can help me?

As we learned on the symptoms page, non-epileptic attacks are often a way of our bodies managing high levels of stress, worries and anxiety. There are people who can help you to learn new ways to manage stress and anxiety and hopefully reduce attacks. If you have not already been referred to a specialist who helps people in this way you should ask your doctor if they can request an appointment with someone in your local area.

The following professionals may have been trained to work with difficulties related to symptoms that people with non-epileptic attacks have. They often work in special teams called Child & Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) or some hospitals. More information about these qualified people and local services can be found on the NHS website.

  1. Clinical Psychologists
  2. Psychiatrists
  3. Psychotherapists
  4. Occupational Therapists
  5. Physiotherapists
  6. Clinical Social Workers

Teachers, parents/carers and other adults may be able to help too. You can point them to this website to help them learn about your symptoms. There is a section just for them!

What can I do now?

While doctors and other qualified people can help you to manage anxiety, stress and your attacks, there are some things that may help you now. Managing high levels of stress and anxiety has been found to be helpful in lots of young people and adults. If you are having significant difficulty you should speak to your doctor or GP about talking to someone about the feelings or symptoms you may be having.

Learn strategies that can help >

Useful Websites about NEAD

There are currently no other online resources for young people with non-epileptic attack disorder. However, there are several websites that have been made to help adults. Remember that these websites related to adults and the symptoms and causes listed may be different for young people as there is much less known about non-epileptic attack disorder in children.

  1. - a website for adults with NEAD by our colleagues at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals
  2. - a charity for people with FND (including NEAD)
  3. - a website (more specifically for adults) on management and adjustment to neurological symptoms including NEAD